Legal Studies Certificate
This certificate is no longer enrolling new students.
Explore how law shapes and is shaped by political, economic, and cultural forces. Through this professional graduate certificate, you gain an understanding of the theoretical frameworks and historical dynamics of law.
Key learning outcomes
- Develop an understanding of the impact of legal issues on diverse fields, institutions, and segments of society.
- Build a grounding in the rhetoric of legal discourse and legal issues, such as court structures, jurisdiction, litigation processes, privacy rights, contracts, criminal law, and intellectual property.
Earning the Certificate
The certificate is no longer enrolling new students. If you began coursework toward this certificate before fall 2017, you may complete the certificate as planned. You have three years from the time of your first course. You must finish all courses by June 2020 at the latest.
To meet the requirements for the certificate, you must:
- Complete four certificate courses for graduate credit.
- Earn at least a B grade in each course.
- Complete the courses within three years.
If you already started coursework toward the certificate, you may choose any four courses from the Legal Studies Certificate course group, using the certificate course search in online services. Courses taken before the 2014-15 academic year do not apply toward this certificate.
Have a question?
Our Enrollment Services team can answer questions about our graduate certificates.
Certificate at a Glance
Number of courses for this certificate.Start browsing courses
Cost of completing the certificate courses, at 2017–18 tuition rates.
Number of years, on average, it takes to complete this certificate. You may take up to three years.